Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:14:49 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 09:27:13 -0500, "
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:13:51 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Shouldn't be possible for management to steal tips.

Possible? I know a few places that do it. Tips are forked over to
management, who gives *part* back at the end of the night.

I part-time managed a couple restaurants and handled the register.
Order slips got clipped to CC slips and the waitresses had a carbon of
the order slip. I kept them sorted by waitress as customers paid.
When their shift ended they did their own tally to match mine.
I can see it happening, but only if the waitress allows herself to be
abused. I'm assuming they still keep carbons and do a register tally.
More likely a cash tip gets pocketed by another employee or a
customer.

No, you had it the first time. Want to keep the job? Tips go here. In some
places the "pool" is used to pay the dishwasher or cooks.

If I found out a place that did that, I'd get in management's face
real loud like, leave and never come back.
Then I'd publish it in local letters to the editor, blogs, on-line
review sites, etc.
Is that what you do?

I just never go back. A letter to the editor can easily backfire (libel).

There's plenty of laws being broken there.

....depending on the jurisdiction. Some have pretty lax laws in these areas.

Who the hell would frequent such a place, or leave a tip?

I don't, but it *does* happen.

Never heard of it, except with whores and pimps, or saw it happen.
I know about tip pools for waitresses/bussers.
In the busy places I worked staff was a team, and the waitresses had
no problem giving up 15% of tips to bussers.
On the surface, anyway.

They likely had no choice.