Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:18:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/13/2011 3:21 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 14:49:55 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/13/2011 11:12 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:37:57 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/13/2011 10:14 AM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:22:17 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/12/2011 9:33 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

But can anyone truly say that any person is worth more than a million
dollars a year? I certainly don't think so.

What's "worth" got to do with anything? Some HAVE more than a million
because others willingly GAVE it to them.

Oh, there are exceptions, but in the main the wealthy earned their fortunes.

Those that earned their wealth, how much harder than you did they work
to earn that amount?

What does "how hard they work" have to do with anything. A ditch digger works
"harder" than I do, but I make a few times what they do.

Lets say you work 40 hours a week and earn $100,000 per year.

Do you think that on average that some one that makes $1,000,000 per
year has worked 10 times harder than you?

They've at least worked 10x smarter than have I. Someone willingly *gave*
them that money.

I am talking about harder not smarter.

One's skills don't matter?

When something needs to be created, built, constructed, or erected what
basic element MUST you have to get the job done? Without it nothing
could be done.

Those with skills shouldn't be paid more than those who can't?

what would be worth more to a company that produced product?

Usually, the ones who thought up the product, the way to pay for the product,
or the ones who protected the investors who paid. You can tell that they're
worth more because, well, they're paid more.

Until the skilled laborer begins the work all of those others have
limited use and life expectancy. Talking about it, planing it, getting
funding is fine but you absolutely must produce the product to justify
all keeping their jobs. If management is lost or disrupted it IME can
more easily be replaced than than a good labor force. If production is
disrupted you are dead in the water. This is especially true in small
business.

Sure, but there are many more who can "plug slot-A into tab-B" than can design
widgets with slots and tabs. These people are worth more.

I have mostly worked in small businesses when making the better salaries
and have always been in management in those settings. Starting out and
while going to school I worked more on the labor end.

....as it should be.

I can assure you in my experience I worked harder with a skill equal to
seasoned employees for less than when I moved up to management.

But they're not paying for "working hard". They're paying to get a job done.
One job was obviously worth more than the other, as it always is.

Management was relative easy for me to move into and I ended up managing
many areas in the automotive field starting at age 21 until I retired at
41. For the field I was in I feel that I made a relatively good salary
with great perks but never felt I was worth more than the guys
producing the product. AAMOF in 1983 the owner of our dealership had a
constant monthly salary which doubled my salary, he made a flat $10K per
month. I had a technician in the shop that often earned a monthly
salary greater to the owners salary.

So no, I don't believe that in most cases that some one that makes 10
times the salary works 10 times harder.

Again, how "hard" someone works is irrelevant. Again, I'm paid several times
what a ditch digger is paid. He works a *lot* harder than do I. My end
product is worth a lot more and there are a lot fewer people who can do my
job.