Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do I know when contacts in a motor starter are too worn?

Jim Stewart wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

I'm with Iggy on this one. No time to do the math,
but I have had experience trying to remove a couple
of watts of heat from a small semiconductor footprint.

Sigh. The contacts are a hell of a lot larger than the die in a
semiconductor, which may only be .001 square inch.

Sigh. By footprint I meant a TO-220 package.

The poackage is a lot larger than the die. It's the junction
temperature that's critical.