Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On 10/12/2011 2:47 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in :

On 10/9/2011 10:21 AM, Han wrote:
wrote in
:

On 10/9/2011 7:29 AM, Han wrote:

snip

the competition should pay. The task of government is (apparently)
to protect us from ourselves, for single proprietors and hobbyists,
that is. OSHA does it for general commerce.

It boils down to the fact that life has inherent risks and whether
you want to live in a society that shares those risks; or a society
that attempts to eliminate those risks through the elimination of
personal freedoms and individual discretion.

Balance is a good thing ...

There is no "balance". Once government begins to ignore personal
freedom and the constitutional protections to the individual, the
"balance" goes out the window. You will eventually be mandated to buy
the "right tool" and only the "right tool" and from the properly
"licensed" seller at the properly mandated price.

Of course there is a balance. You can't buy a car these days without
airbags and antipollution equipment. We as a society have deemed it
necessary, while in the late 50's my Dad had a car that 2 people could
lift the front of, and move it in a parking place. It had a
water-cooled 4-cylinder engine in the rear, and it was easy to change
spark plugs, points, whatever. Now a similar car in performance would
weigh twice as much, use 3 times the gasoline, and cost 5 times as much
in inflation-adjusted money.

You are assuming none of this would have happened w/o government. You
are simply wrong. People are capable of making their own decisions and
business is capable of determining how to give the individual what they
want. Right now, if I want saw stop I can buy it. With "balance", I
will not have that choice. The LAST thing I want is some government
hack making decisions for me.

--
Jack
Got Change: Individual Freedom ======= Government Control!