Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default How do I know when contacts in a motor starter are too worn?

It may be helpful to go to ab.com and look in their literature library, it's
great to get instructions (for those who use instructions) on older
equipment.

We have an indexing festoon at work that cycles every few seconds 24/7, the
contactor welded itself closed, made a bit of a mess but out of 17 such
indexing festoons, we don't replace contactors very often. This was an AB
100 series IIRC.

RogerN

"Ignoramus2083" wrote in message

I bought a size 2 motor starter on ebay. It is Allen Bradley and looks
like 500 series. (the label does not say what series).

I want to use it for my 10 HP compressor, which is the kind of service
where it would restart the motor many times per day.

Anyhow, I opened up the cover to look at contacts and it appears that
they have some wear. I cannot really tell if it is too much or not,
because I am not qualified to tell.

So, I have a couple of questions.

1) How can I know if the contacts are too worn?

2) If I buy an "aftermarket contact kit", are they really as good as
the originals? Do the original contacts have silver plates?

Thanks