Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:39:24 -0500, "
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:25:23 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

I'd like to see tipping go away- make the places pay decent wages, and
adjust the prices accordingly. The amount out of my pocket will be the
same, I won't have to try to do the tip math in my head, and some IRS
auditors will have to find honest work.

The math really isn't hard. ;-) I once thought that way but have come to
appreciate the current system. I like to take care of our normal waitress at
the pizza joint on Friday night.

I just move the decimal to the left, double it, and round up to the
next buck. Takes no more than 90 seconds.
Went to twenty percent from 18.387% when my wife got ****ed off
waiting for me to figure it out.

A few things that really **** me off, though. Shared tips. Management
stealing tips. Tips added to the bill (they lose money). Tips jars for
counter service. ...

Shouldn't be possible for management to steal tips.
I part-time managed a couple restaurants and handled the register.
Order slips got clipped to CC slips and the waitresses had a carbon of
the order slip. I kept them sorted by waitress as customers paid.
When their shift ended they did their own tally to match mine.
I can see it happening, but only if the waitress allows herself to be
abused. I'm assuming they still keep carbons and do a register tally.
More likely a cash tip gets pocketed by another employee or a
customer.

--Vic