Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 00:07:43 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:42:07 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

We would be even richer as a nation if the resulting wealth
was spread out more evenly, not going to corporations and really rich
people who can afford to stash it abroad.

And what are your ideas to allow us to achieve either of those goals?
Are you talking "redistribution of wealth" here?

Ever since we stopped living as small groups of hunter-gatherers, the
problem of accumulation of excess goods has been with us. The toughest
or smartest guys, with the least ethics, glommed onto everything they
could and left little for the masses. The advent of technology
accelerated the process.

I don't know that there is a solution, since human nature tries to find a
way around any restrictions.

Income inequality did seem to be less in the '50s when marginal income
tax rates could go up into the confiscatory range, but that may have been
a coincidence.

I picked up a copy of a Tea Party book, Rasmussen's _Mad as Hell_, and
it appears we've been taking a dive since the second world war. And I
don't think it's just the tax rate adjustments, either.

But can anyone truly say that any person is worth more than a million
dollars a year? I certainly don't think so.

I don't, either, but we're not shareholders and we're not voting on
uber manglement compensation.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.