Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 12 Oct 2011 19:14:34 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
On 12 Oct 2011 16:16:49 GMT, Han wrote:
Seems to me that if the US can produce more cheaply, the US will do
more of the earning, less of the buying from other countries. Sort
of the reveerse of the flight of manufacturing and services to East
Asia?
Or isn't it that simple?

I don't think it is. In reducing the cost of U.S.-made goods, the
cost of labor and bennies will almost certainly have to come
down...unless you can figure out how to limit the profits made by
stockholders and wages of CEOs and other upper mangle^H^H^Hagement.

Remember that the dollar is worth far less than it once was?. 1 €
costs now about US$1.32, but earlier it was almost $1.50. At the high
point of the $ vs € it was $0.82 or so. So between high and low there
is almost a 2-fold difference. The more $ "they" can get for a €, the
cheaper our goods are to them, and vice versa. And that was without
finagling wages or benefits. We would be even richer as a nation if
the resulting wealth was spread out more evenly, not going to
corporations and really rich people who can afford to stash it abroad.

And what are your ideas to allow us to achieve either of those goals?
Are you talking "redistribution of wealth" here?

We need to simplify the tax code by eliminating many of the loopholes and
preferences, and tax the wealthier at higher effective rates. Both
corporations and individuals. Payroll taxes have been going up, as have
state and local as well as sales taxes. That has put more and more of
the burden on lower wage earners, while higher wage earners and those not
relying on earned income have gotten a break. It's time to put more
purchasing power in the hands of lower income people.

And, while not really rich, I always have been comfortable.

--
Best regards
Han