Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

On 12 Oct 2011 19:14:34 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
news
On 12 Oct 2011 16:16:49 GMT, Han wrote:
Seems to me that if the US can produce more cheaply, the US will do
more of the earning, less of the buying from other countries. Sort of
the reveerse of the flight of manufacturing and services to East Asia?
Or isn't it that simple?

I don't think it is. In reducing the cost of U.S.-made goods, the cost
of labor and bennies will almost certainly have to come down...unless
you can figure out how to limit the profits made by stockholders and
wages of CEOs and other upper mangle^H^H^Hagement.

Remember that the dollar is worth far less than it once was?. 1 € costs
now about US$1.32, but earlier it was almost $1.50. At the high point of
the $ vs € it was $0.82 or so. So between high and low there is almost a
2-fold difference. The more $ "they" can get for a €, the cheaper our
goods are to them, and vice versa. And that was without finagling wages
or benefits. We would be even richer as a nation if the resulting wealth
was spread out more evenly, not going to corporations and really rich
people who can afford to stash it abroad.

And what are your ideas to allow us to achieve either of those goals?
Are you talking "redistribution of wealth" here?

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.