Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default How do I know when contacts in a motor starter are too worn?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 19:53:27 -0500, Ignoramus2083

On 2011-10-12, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:17:18 -0500, Ignoramus2083
wrote:

I bought a size 2 motor starter on ebay. It is Allen Bradley and looks
like 500 series. (the label does not say what series).

I want to use it for my 10 HP compressor, which is the kind of service
where it would restart the motor many times per day.

Anyhow, I opened up the cover to look at contacts and it appears that
they have some wear. I cannot really tell if it is too much or not,
because I am not qualified to tell.

So, I have a couple of questions.

1) How can I know if the contacts are too worn?

2) If I buy an "aftermarket contact kit", are they really as good as
the originals? Do the original contacts have silver plates?

Thanks

Iggy, this is one of those good things to do on a new install. Even if
they aren't that bad. if you make it a policy to get your equipment in
top shape when you do work on it, you'll have way less downtime in the
future.

Karl

Karl, I agree and I will do just that. But what do you think about
aftermarket contact kits? Are they OK?

I'm sure they are fine