Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Prep kitchen woodwork for refinishing

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 09:39:41 -0700, Paul MR wrote:

On 10/1/2011 3:26 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 11:04:11 -0700, Paul wrote:

On 9/30/2011 7:57 PM, Paul MR wrote:
Thanks, people, for the suggestions. I've learned so much from this
discussion group over the years.

Let us know what works for you. Folks like to hear solutions.

I went to the janitorial supply store. They recommended ZEP commercial
grade degreaser since no glass or granite surfaces were close. It
worked fine. The combination of grease and the ZEP did remove the
existing finish down to bare wood within about 12 inches the stove. I
did not mind the change in color - that's what makes unpainted wood
attractive to me. But Pat wanted it re-stained to match; I found the
oil-based stain in the basement, thinned it and voila! Washing with ZEP
and/or TSP, touching up the stain, lightly sanding, cleaning dust with
paint thinner and re-varnishing has taken about two weeks. I hope it
will last another 30 years at which time I will be 97 years old and
could care less.

Thanks, Paul.