Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rest iN peace, Mr. Jobs

On 12 Oct 2011 16:16:49 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On 12 Oct 2011 11:55:54 GMT, Han wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"scritch" wrote in message
A brilliant innovator and marketer. Changed the way we work with
computers.

However, Apples have stolen family-wage jobs here to be made in
foreign factories that cruelly exploit their employees and ruin the
environment, with the expectation that the poor folks here will
still forever buy the Apples with their last dimes, all to enrich
some shareholders who apparently believe these bad practices will
never affect them.

I'm pretty conflicted about Mr. Jobs.

I own no Apple products. As for Jobs and jobs, I'd guess he is no
better or worse than any other computer/electronics maker. What
portable phone is made in the US or Canada? Try to find a toaster
not made in China. Yet we buy because it is such a good value. Is
it?

The Pogo rule seems to apply inmost cases. "we have met the enemy
and it is us:

Pretty soon the US$ will have devalued sufficiently so that
manufacturing here will become profitable again (it is already for
cars and some other things). Now whether this new-found wealth will
flow to workers or investors/rich people will be the next question ...

What's your best guess, Han? Why should things change regarding
wealth?

Seems to me that if the US can produce more cheaply, the US will do more
of the earning, less of the buying from other countries. Sort of the
reveerse of the flight of manufacturing and services to East Asia? Or
isn't it that simple?

I don't think it is. In reducing the cost of U.S.-made goods, the cost
of labor and bennies will almost certainly have to come down...unless
you can figure out how to limit the profits made by stockholders and
wages of CEOs and other upper mangle^H^H^Hagement.

IMNSHO, we will grow the economy more if we let the less affluent buy
more ...

GOOD punchline. g
(On the off chance that you're serious, what's your logic there? How
do the poor buy more?)

Getting more spending power into the hands of the less affluent will lead
to more purchasing of manufactured goods (my opinion).

Do you have any good ideas as to how to accomplish that? I'd love it!

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from folly
is to fill the world with fools.