Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Zone question

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 20:56:55 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:19:24 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

The land use ordinances in my town refer only to "structures" -- no
mention of "buildings". Our definition of structure borders on the
absurd in its scope and inconsistency. When the issue comes up in my
role as chair of our Board of Appeals, I often point out that a lawn
chair arguably qualifies as a structure. On the other hand, in
practice, the codes office is generally reasonable in its application
of the definition.

... Sounds like you and I have the exact same job. What is your guide
line as to what structures pay property taxes?

My job (1) is on what most towns call the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Since there's no zoning in this town, we're just the Board of Appeals.
The boards hears appeals of decisions made by the codes enforcement
officer, plumbing inspector, and Planning Board and requests for
variances. It sounds like you hear appeals of tax assessments.

Theoretically all structures are assessed, but accessory structures
seem to be valued well below market or replacement cost. For example,
my wife's 20x24, 1-1/2 story, heated painting studio is assessed at
$7000. I think the 12x18 garden shed is $250.

(1) I use the term loosely -- we get $10 per meeting g.

I got you beat big time in the pay department - $600 a year. Works out
to about $2 an hour. Just today I had two meetings, had to deal with
an irrate person that was mad about having a box elder tree cut down
in front of his property. Then conferred with the school board chair
and the local city mayor about how we are going to politic the state
legislature for funds on a badly needed infrastructure improvement.

Karl