Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Sizing a Hole

On 10/11/2011 9:13 PM, Tim wrote:

I may suggest the threading trick, assuming that there's a standard size
that's close enough.

In case folks are wondering, the reason that I want to press them into
the holes is to maintain the angle: there's an LED, and about six inches
away there's a phototransistor (in the same type of case). I'm using
parts with about an 18 degree included angle. That's fairly generous,
but I'd still like to hold the aim.

Come to think of it, a fallback position would be to hold the LED flange
against a countersunk rim (this all is going into a holder that aims the
LEDs, provides convenient mounting features to a larger assembly, and
strain-relieves the cable to the LED).

Here...

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/690...hlmp-0103.html