Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Metal box wiring question

On Oct 5, 4:59*pm, N8N wrote:
On Oct 5, 3:30*pm, "
wrote:

When using a metal junction box, eg handybox for a switch,
is it acceptable code to:

A - Just ground the metal box and rely on the switch getting
grounded by being fastened to the box

B - Just ground the switch and rely on the box getting
grounded by being fastened to the switch

C - Both must be grounded using wire?

Thanks all.

C) is usually the correct answer; sometimes A) is as well but only if
the switch is listed as self-grounding. *Otherwise you have to run
ground to both.

good luck

nate

I know this is the case in a lot of places but Im not sure it is a
code requirement. Thats the way they were wired when I was a
maintenance man at a hospital years ago and the way they are at work
now. Its not true for the way my house is wired. In my house only the
box is grounded. Of course assuming my house was wired to code could
be a reckless assumption.

Jimmie