Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default OT CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

On 10/12/2011 1:12 AM, Arfa Daily wrote:

snip

What is your problem with Spencer?

**I have serious problems with anyone that embraces 'Creation
Science' as
part of their belief system. Creationism is the most debunked,
discredited
and utterly banal religious belief system on the planet. Spence is a
religious loon, who embraces 'Creation Science'.

I have to say that I find this a rather disturbing position. As I
understand it, Creationism spans a very wide range of beliefs. Are you
saying that any devout Christian - of which I guess there are many
millions worldwide - is a religious nutter, because they believe in
their religion's holy book ?

**Not specifically, though ANY PERSON who holds any kind of religious
belief, which requires the suspension of science, has some very clear
problems with the ability to think critically. However, in Spencer's
case, I was being very precise in that his belief system actively
disputes the fact of evolution and the theory of Natural Selection, as
espoused by one of the most formidable scientists of all time - Darwin.
Creationism is a specific subset of Christianity (and probably other
religions) where huge swaths of biology, geology, physics and
astro-physics are completely disregarded, in preference for a primitive,
childish approach to the universe.

The bible tells of a universe created by a
divine being. Whether that's right or wrong, it is a belief that is
strongly held by many sane and rational people and, I would wager, more
than a few of the climate scientists that you put so much faith in.

**And I would challenge any climatologist holding such childish beliefs.

My dear old mum, bless her now-departed soul, had a firm belief in the
bible, and of a God that created the earth that she lived on and
everything on it. Do you think that she was a Creationist and a
religious nutter for holding those beliefs?

**I don't know. Possibly, she was just ignorant. Like my own mother, she
may have lacked a decent education and had no real grounding in science.
My mother has an unshakable belief in the supernatural (she's a
Methodist). Spencer has no excuse for his childish beliefs. He has a
decent education. For him to reject science, in preference for religious
nuttery is a sad indictment of his ability to think critically.

I can assure you that she
was one of the most practical and sanest people that I have ever known.
She just came from a time when Christianity in one form or another was
practiced to a greater or lesser degree, by most families in this country.

**Sure. Same as my mum. Doesn't make it correct. It just makes it clear
that many people lack a decent education.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au