Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Zone question

"Karl Townsend" wrote

I get training in property tax review annually. At least in MN, it
goes by if there is a foundation. For example an animal confinement on
skids, even if huge, is not a building. Put a row of cement blocks
down and it is a building. A greenhouse with a dirt floor and posts is
not a building. Put down blocks or a floor, its a building.

Karl

I have two containers. Each has six supports, 16 x 16 solid concrete
blocks, and there is air under the containers. I have roofed it, and
eventually, hopefully soon, make double doors on each end to fully enclose
it. The middle, it will be concreted, but no concrete will go under the
containers except for one foot to collect any runoff and channel it away.
If it absolutely had to, the whole thing could be moved out in less than one
day if I had a crane ready.

I had a discussion with an old neighbor who used to be the assessor. He
said the county makes sweeps every five years to catch what they can, and
then hit you with an increase in taxes based on what it is. Shouldn't be
much.

I read the codes last evening, but what I could find on line didn't have the
exact answer. It did say that many buildings made to aid in agriculture
(I'm in an ag zone) didn't have to be even permitted, including pole barns,
lean tos, carports, shades, animal refuges, etc. It only seems to refer to
habitable structures in an AG1 zone.

I thought it may be the point where I enclose it that it would be considered
a structure. I'll plug up around the bottom with steel sheet skirting, and
go through and seal a lot of air infiltration spots with expanding foam and
custom cut patches, so that I can keep it cooler in summer and warmer in
winter.

Thanks for the info.

Steve