Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Zone question

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 07:25:57 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:14:09 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

In your building code zone, when is a structure considered a building? I
need to read up on that. duh. Some places, it is when it is enclosed.
Some cases it is when it is electrified. Some places, if there are any
habitable spaces. Just wondering how it is where you live. I live in an
agricultural 1 district, single family. One acre minimum lot size. Five
acre minimum for a septic.

Steve

I get training in property tax review annually. At least in MN, it
goes by if there is a foundation. For example an animal confinement on
skids, even if huge, is not a building. Put a row of cement blocks
down and it is a building. A greenhouse with a dirt floor and posts is
not a building. Put down blocks or a floor, its a building.

Karl

The land use ordinances in my town refer only to "structures" -- no
mention of "buildings". Our definition of structure borders on the
absurd in its scope and inconsistency. When the issue comes up in my
role as chair of our Board of Appeals, I often point out that a lawn
chair arguably qualifies as a structure. On the other hand, in
practice, the codes office is generally reasonable in its application
of the definition.

************
Structure - anything built for the support, shelter or enclosure of
persons, animals, goods or property of any kind, together with
anything constructed or erected with a fixed location on or in the
ground, exclusive of fences and poles, wiring, and other equipment
normally associated with service drops as well as guying and guy
anchors. The term includes, but is not limited to, structures
temporarily or permanently located, such as decks, satellite dishes,
and portable prefab structures. Other examples of structure include
terraces, patios and other construction involving impermeable and/or
non-vegetated surfaces.

--
Ned Simmons