Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Greenhouse?

Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
I can devote say 10' x 12' with the majority of
the slanted roof facing South.
I want to spend less than $1500 and I would
like to be finished within 5 months or so.
--Winston

Since you don't have snow I'd make it from pressure treated 4x4 corner
uprights with two 2x6 x 12' side beams supporting 2x4 x 10' purlins.
Southern yellow pine (SYP) is nearly as strong as oak. I use beams one size
larger and 2x4 x 4' diagonal corner braces to hold a heavy snow load.

Suntuf polycarb holds up well as roofing.
http://www.palramamericas.com/Suntuf_gallery

Thanks, Jim.

The lumber I can get isn't nearly as stout as
that available elsewhere, based on the casual
'swayback' look adopted by the 4x4 floor joists
in my tiny storage shed (over only 8 feet).

I will add four concrete piers at the midpoints
(5' and 6') and at center to make the floor look
kind of flat.

To CAD I go!

--Winston