Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

J. Clarke wrote:

Gass is a patent lawyer--you think he doesn't have it sewn up so tight
that any "alternative" will violate his patents?

And that just ****es you off, doesn't it?

He only deserves to be paid for it if he's not the one asking that it
be mandated. If the government, without his ever asking for it,
mandated it then he'd deserve compensation, but he's clearly trying
to get it mandated in order to enrich himself and that behavior
should be discouraged.

Funny that you feel you should be the arbitar of what should be and what
should not be. There are laws in this country and he is within the law.
But - you feel you have the right to decide what he should do, should be
compensated for, and how that all should work. I'm quite glad that you are
not the king.

The guy developed something new that works, patented it, set his
price and tried to license it, got shot down, persevered, started
manufacturing them himself, and is now going through the proper
channels to improve saw safety (though he does seem to believe he has
a lock on any and all attempts at an alternative system). If by
chance he happens to make the odd million or twenty for his largesse,
well, that's not his fault!

It is his fault when he's clearly intending to profit from the
regulation he's demanding.

And you are simply jealous.

If that's not an American success story I don't know what is.

An "American success story" would involve his company becoming
dominant in the market buy building a product that clearly
represented better value than the competition, not getting the
government to mandate that the competition buy his product.

He's already in the process of doing that but you just won't let yourself
see it.

Gass is that same type, except he's a patent lawyer and a PHD. I
have no knowledge of what the guy is like personally, but from his
actions I'm guessing he's part pitbull and maybe a little short on
the warm and fuzzies. But the guy's no dummy and it will probably
cost the tool manufacturer's more in the long run to have shot him
down.

Personally I want to see him totally destroyed.

And what a fool you are. You don't know squat about the guy and you post
something like this? Sorry - that's a pityful statement.

In any case, if you do not like what I have to say there is something
called a "killfile", although you google types wouldn't know about
things like that.

So... you are free to exercise your free speach, but others are not if they
contradict you? Or at least that they will be put down by you? You really
need to practice what you preach.

--

-Mike-