Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default Greenhouse?

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 18:23:36 -0700, Winston
wrote:

I want to grow veggies in hydroponic shelf beds
in a greenhouse, year round in my mild northern
California climate. I'm thinking tomatoes,
peppers, squash perhaps. The few tomatoes I
produced in buckets were excellent and I want
MORE!

I can devote say 10' x 12' with the majority of
the slanted roof facing South.
I want to spend less than $1500 and I would
like to be finished within 5 months or so.

I'm wondering if I can just weld up a frame from
say, 1-1/2" square tube, send out sections for
powder coating and use recycled armored
glass panes to form walls and ceiling?

What approach is working the best for you and
what resources do you recommend? What would you
have done differently?

Thanks!

--Winston

==============

Good for you.

Google on hydroponics (25,300k hits) or aeropoincs (783k
hits) and review what other people have done to avoid
reinventing the wheel. Aeroponics seems to be the current
hot trick.
http://www.futuregrowing.com/commfarms.html
http://www.zeitnews.org/biotechnolog...op-garden.html
http://www.myairgarden.com/2011/04/m...oponics-tower/
http://gardenings.co/sustainable-gar...c-urban-garden
http://video.webnet.lt/aeroponics/
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/d...rt-aeroponics/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_970222.html

To avoid raising supermarket produce [not generally cost
effective] you may find the following urls helpful.
http://www.pepperjoe.com/
http://www.henryfields.com/category/tomato_seed
http://www.pennystomatoes.com/
http://www.reimerseeds.com/hidalgo-hot-peppers.aspx
http://seedrack.com/tomato.html?gcli...FQk65QodFjMtCQ

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"