Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Exterior Paint Estimate for this house

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:08:08 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

Good advice, Vic. One quibble - the lower number ladders are the
stronger ones. A Type 2 is a homeowner's or light duty ladder, a Type
1 is stronger and stiffer, and a Type 1A is the highest rated commonly
available ladder and rated to hold 300#.
http://www.wernerladder.com/safety/performance.php

And you're right, there's been a lot of change in the painting
business. Lots of spraying now, hopefully with backrolling.

My brother was using mostly airless when he left the business.
Too many college kids on competing crews.
He was paying his guys 3 times more, but they were good when they
could sober up enough to show up.

I wasn't real specific about my main point.
You need good gear and safety.
He has to invest in that, but it will pay off.
We probably had the type 1's. They were stiff.
Never used bouncing ladders.
I bought a new 40' for my place. Cost me an arm and a leg.
But I forget how much. Maybe +$300 in '76. It's long gone.
I never looked at rental prices, but I suspect kansascats should buy a
good 30' and he'll have it forever.
He might rent jacks, plank and another 30' if he needs that for
something and the rental won't kill him.
Or maybe buy everything used for the right price.
Homeowners don't usually paint a house only once, unless they're
selling it.
I'm too lazy now to even contemplate painting a big house.
kansascats might become a fan of aluminum/vinyl.
When you paint a bunch, that happens.
As he'll find out.

--Vic