Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Exterior Paint Estimate for this house

On Oct 10, 4:33*pm, kansascats wrote:

The quality of participants in these newgroups has gone downhill
significantly over the years. * It used to be 1 in 10 were
nonsensical, insincere replies. *Now 9 in 10 are. * There seem to be a
large numer of unemployed/under employed folks with little else to do
than surf the groups and provide useless responses.

RicodJour -- Your language and false assmptions are disrepectful.
I'm the homeowner. * I did get bids. * I am also considering my
ability and time to do the job myself.

Colbyt -- I went to your "website" and read Exterior Painting-What Not
to Do. *Nice generalities. * Let me summarize -- "Do a good job".
There is no content here. *No specific how-to's, no product
recommendations based on first-hand experience, etc. * I would not
hire you as the "dumb***" painter. * Applying paint is far more than
"smearing it around".

alt.home.repair and rec.woodworking used to be my go-to places for
thoughful, hands-on, experienced knowledge on a wide range of
topics. * Sad to say -- not so anymore.

Cry me a river, chief. You started with a wacky fishing expedition
asking an unanswerable question about pricing without providing any
useful information at all, and now you're telling us in advance how
you're planning on killing yourself. Pardon me if I don't show you
the respect you think you reserve, but you have gone about this in a
very, very bizarre way.

You're talking about scaffolding and putting a ladder on top of
scaffolding. That's beyond dumb, and well into the I-want-to-die
territory. You want to paint something 22' up...? Umm, hello!, any
extension ladder will get you that high. Get one of those U-shaped
standoff attachments with the rubber boots, and you're good to go.

Painter's don't erect scaffolding unless it is on some commercial job
over a sidewalk or something. House painting moves too fast and
there's no point taking the time to set up scaffolding.

Instead of telling us what you will be doing and asking a specific
question based on the initial bad decision, ask the questions up
front. It's not asking a lot of you - really.

BTW, I am totally sincere in my reply that I think you will kill
yourself if you insist on working off of a ladder on a scaffold. Make
sure your insurance is up to date, and put plastic down so you don't
leave a mess when you hit.