Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Some metal questions

"Ignoramus20811" wrote in message
A couple of heavy duty C clamps, or sheel lifting clamps, should do
it?

On 2011-10-10, Steve B wrote:
I have completed my hoisting apparatus to lift some pieces of Corten
steel
up to mount on a false face along the top of the container. The pieces
are
84" x 44". I am going to drill two holes, and use two lift points with a
spreader bar so that there is no triangular forces of a lifting bridle.
They will be pre drilled, and once up there, tek screwed in 6 places to
stabilize, then be plug welded in pre drilled holes, one in every valley,
about 7" apart, and 3/8" diameter.

Does anyone know the tearing force for Corten? If I drill a hole 1 to
1.5"
in from the edge in two places, and lift equally, I believe that would be
safe. Also, does anyone know the tearing force for a 1/2" dia. hole in
1/8"
plate? That would be force applied to the hole in a right angle.

I think I am safe here, just wanted to see if anyone knows the figures.

TIA

Steve

Imagine a sheet of corrugated laying flat on the concrete. That's the way
it has to end up vertical on the face framework. So, I can't use anything
deeper than the sheet's profile is tall.

I think if I just drill two holes and use stout s hooks it should be good to
go. I was just wondering how much tearout force it would take.

Lemme tell you, I wrestled six sheets six by seven feet out of the stack and
on to a table to cut with the torch, then stacked them. By myself. And
I'll probably be hanging these by myself. The smaller 7' x 3.5' sheets are
heavy enough. The big pieces are monstrous to handle for one guy.

Steve