Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20811 Ignoramus20811 is offline

Default Some metal questions

A couple of heavy duty C clamps, or sheel lifting clamps, should do
it?

On 2011-10-10, Steve B wrote:
I have completed my hoisting apparatus to lift some pieces of Corten steel
up to mount on a false face along the top of the container. The pieces are
84" x 44". I am going to drill two holes, and use two lift points with a
spreader bar so that there is no triangular forces of a lifting bridle.
They will be pre drilled, and once up there, tek screwed in 6 places to
stabilize, then be plug welded in pre drilled holes, one in every valley,
about 7" apart, and 3/8" diameter.

Does anyone know the tearing force for Corten? If I drill a hole 1 to 1.5"
in from the edge in two places, and lift equally, I believe that would be
safe. Also, does anyone know the tearing force for a 1/2" dia. hole in 1/8"
plate? That would be force applied to the hole in a right angle.

I think I am safe here, just wanted to see if anyone knows the figures.

TIA

Steve