Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The trick is to overfill the gearbox so the gears and bearings are
submerged in ATF. And tow slowly. Or, of course, remove the propshaft
if RWD.

I can't remember which car or exactly how it worked, but I have heard of
one automatic where there were pumps connected to both input and output
shafts, making it possible to tow or even bump start.

A propshaft driven second pump was common once upon a time. But I dunno of
any modern auto with one. Last car i had with that was a '67 P6 Rover
2000. The 3500 version - with nominally the same B-W 35 box didn't have
one.

Not a good idea to tow start such an auto - it will likely run into the
tow car when it starts. Push starts were recommended - you'll sometimes
see this in old US films.

--
*The hardness of the butter is proportional to the softness of the bread *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.