Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Towing vehicle with a rope

On 07/10/2011 14:32, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:58:19 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
'Its potentially dangerous,' as is all driving. Its just stating the
completely obvious, at least to any person capable of driving. Any
towee will be aware of the risks of travelling very close to the
vehicle in front, with no ability to see ahead if its a van, no ability
to steer one's course or even stop the combined vehicles.

The big snag is most vehicles have both power steering and brakes. One
being towed with the engine stopped will have neither. So towing with a
rope should be done with great caution - and only if both drivers have
experience of doing so.

And don't do what a friend of mine once did, and forget to put the key in
the ignition of the towed vehicle to release the steering column lock ;-)
Apparently he managed a quite graceful drift into the side of a parked
van.

I had a friend with a Fiesta, who's electrics failed in heavy snow. His
dad came out to tow him home, but with no wipers, he couldn't see and of
course he had no lights, so he couldn't flash and no horn, so he
couldn't attract his father's attention. He tried to brake, but as he
was being towed by a V8 Rangerover, he was just dragged home!

ISTR it feels a bit strange at first from the POV of the person in the
towed vehicle, having to start slowing down before the tow vehicle has in
order to keep the rope taut and avoid too much stress when pulling away
again; it's easy to break a rope...

BTDT, but more recently I towed my dad's Citroen C5 with my Focus, using
a solid bar - far, far better for both drivers. The bar strips down to
three pieces to fit in the boot too. I have yet to try the bars with a
damper in the middle though.

SteveW