Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Outboard turning

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 14:26:53 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote:

While I haven't done it yet, I've also considered making a block of
wood to fit between the bed and the extension to move the extension out
further.

What will that gain?

The outboard extension as sold is pretty short. Fine for platters but
not for a very deep bowl. By moving it out 2-4" I can do a deeper bowl.

But I second what someone else said. Balance the block before you try to
turn it outboard. Band saws are a lot less likely than the lathe to do
something dangerous with an unbalanced piece.