Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 09:27:14 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 10/10/2011 8:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 07:18:07 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/9/2011 5:39 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:21:05 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/9/2011 7:24 AM, Han wrote:
That's true, Leon, but I was referring to the rather high prices Gass is
asking from manufacturers of other saws for their use of his
technologies.

I recall the prices and at the time I would have jumped at the chance
had I been a manufacturer. The price was not out of line.

If that were so, why didn't every manufacturer jump on it at once and
lower the price even more? Perhaps you should read someone's history
of the company other than Gass', though they're hard to find. It may
be illuminating.

I would say because the domestic manufacturers operated like a good old
boys club. Lets not change things up, we will be fine doing business as
usual.

FWIW 8% of the license and $50~$100 additional cost for the parts seems
like a nice option to offer. Less than adding leather seats to your new
car purchase in most cases.

Huh? That's 8% of the -sale- price, dude. On your $3199 Unisaw,
that'd be $255.92 plus $100 for the part, or $355 per saw.

Is that all???? I had not yet done the math. I have spent more than
that on TS accessories, I would consider $500 a bargain on most any
priced saw but I am not one to buy low end crap to begin with. Hell I
spent double that on a Festool track saw, so nop, I do not consider $355
extra for that feature to be any thing to debate, It's a no brainer for me.

All? That's an adder to the cost of manufacture, not to the price. You had
the choice of the purchase of the TS accessory, yet you don't want to allow
the choice of SS technology.

You think
that's a fair price for a self-professed crusader to end saw injuries
to get for his invention?

I and apparently many others do, his saw which sells for more that the
prices you mentioned above are selling like hot cakes. I would think
that a Delta, Jet, or Powermatic with the $500~$600 "optino" would
increase sales for those manufacturers. They would basically have a
competitive product to offer and most likely be less expensive or
equally priced. Yes the option will increase the cost of a TS but so
does buying a better blade than the one that came on your TS.

Great. Choice is wonderful. Why do you want to take it away from others?

I call it highway robbery. If all saw
manufacturers suddenly added that price to their saws, sales would
plummet immediately, with people buying used saws instead.

Initially but cars with air bags and seat belts have replaced all those
with out.

I'd call a $1k licensing fee plus a buck or three on each saw a fair
price. He'd make millions the very first year. After all, he seems to
be trying to pose as an altruist in all of this mess.

You have never run a business have you? You seem to be clueless about
the cost of R&D. Gass had a real risk of loss in his investment, he
should not be penalized for taking that risk and succeeding.

You seem clueless about the difference between cost and price. shrug

Life is not always fai,r some people invest and are rewarded. Some
people take no risks and loose out on the opportunity to be rewarded.

This is the society we live in like it or not. When life you deals you
lemmons.....

And to once again sum up my position on the whole matter, I don't look
fondly at the reported ways Gass has been painted nrt do I look fondly
at the ways it has been reported about other manufacturers refusing to
offer a safer saw when they had the opportunity. I do know that
competition brings prices down and right now the SawStop has no
competition in the category that it is in. I truly believe that if
other manufacturers offer the same technology their sales will go up.

But if it makes yo feel better many others did not believe the SawStop
would ever come to market and Sawstop had to start with nothing and
build a customer base.

Great! ...if it stopped there. No one is saying that SawStop shouldn't
exist.