Swingman

Default How Much Wood Are You Willing to "Waste" (Long)

"charlie b" wrote in message

So how much special wood have you "wasted" in order to get the "right"
piece for a part of one of your projects? And, despite knowing that it
was the right choice, does it still bug you a little?

Yep, you can look at my scrap pile and tell immediately how much it "bugs"
me.

I've found the old saying about "you make your money when you buy" to be
especially relevant when chosing lumber for a project. If I make an honest
effort to have everything planned out, and a good cut list with me, I can go
a long way to putting more emphasis on grain match on a finished piece
before I leave the lumber yard.

However, as good furniture grade hardwood becomes less and less available at
any price, the problem gets worse.

Thus, I am often, however reluctantly, much less fussy about grain match
when "eating my own dog food" and the piece is staying here. I figure by the
time my future grandkids get a piece I make for the house, anything made of
good hardwood will be a novelty and they won't know grain match from zippo.

Client pieces are another story ... but then I usually am forced to do a
more thorough job of planning on them. Thank gawd for a good cut list
program where you can figure the cost of materials for a piece both ways
quickly and accurately, then shop with grain match in mind.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04