Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Type of ceramic wirewound resistor?

N_Cook Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote in message
N_Cook Inscribed thus:

I have one in front of me labelled
UTM 210-9 25435,3 watt probably Russian and can find no info
Like the standard pillar white/grey ceramic resistors but instead
of the wire returning down the flute of the ceramic there is a
sprung join set in the flute with bismuth solder or something.
Anyone know a generic name for this type of thermal cut out
resistor or a maker name ? Other than the opening temperature must
be greater than the sustained power rating temp of the resistor and
lower than standard solder, anyone know what sort of safety cut out
temperature?

Woods metal is used to secure the spring ! So about 70C.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Must be higher than that, as a rule of thumb or finger I've come
across plenty of in service droppers that are too hot to touch more
than fleetingly which means 70 C or above. Unfortunately my variable
soldering iron cannot go down that low to try this one in front of me.
Looks like a lump of metal with thermometer in it, heated on the stove
to check this one

I've got some resistors with thermal breaks attached kicking about
somewhere. If I recall they were used in some TV sets. If I can lay
my hands on them I'll have a look and see what values they are. I do
recall being warned not to solder them closed, but to replace them with
new ones.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.