Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default Measuring RO for a Picture Window

On 10/09/11 6:25 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 9, 6:19 pm, wrote:

I want to replace the single pane wooden picture window in my living
room with a vinyl replacement window.

I just want to check my measuring method before I call the dealer.

I pulled the inside trim so I can see the rough opening on the sides and
top. However, I can't see the bottom of the RO because of the interior
sill. The side-to-side RO measures 48".

For the height, I slipped a thin strip of metal between the bottom frame
and the sill (in three places) until it bottomed out, marked it and
measured it: 1 3/16".

I then added this to the measurement from the top of the rough opening
down to the interior sill (52 7/8") for a total of 54 1/16".

So, as far as I can tell, the measurements to call in are 48" w x 54
1/16" h.

Now, I also took these measurements:

The wooden frame on the bottom of the window *outside* the house, where
I can see the entire frame, right down to the sill: 2 7/8".

The exposed wooden frame on the bottom of the window inside the house: 1
5/16".

If I add the exposed portion on the interior (1 5/16") to the hidden
section on the interior (1 3/16") I get 2 1/2".

That's 2 1/2" inside, 2 7/8" outside.

Is it safe to assume that the "extra" 3/8" on the outside is due to the
slanted sill and that the existing wooden window is slanted on the
bottom to match the sill? (The "thickness" of the frame is ~1 1/4")

I also assume that the VRW will not have a slanted bottom and that I
should ignore that extra 3/8" when I call in the measurements. The
exterior gap can then be covered with trim or with an expander strip
that should come with the window.

So, the correct measurement is the interior measurement of 48" w x 54
1/16" h right?

Thanks!

Different manufacturers measure the rough opening of a bay window in
different ways.

It's not a bay window, it's a picture window - just a large flat window.

Call the manufacturer and ask them to send you a cut
sheet that shows exactly where the rough opening is measure from.
Then draw up a sketch showing exactly what you have and where your
measurements were taken from, and send that to them.

This window will be a Simonton window, purchased through a
Norandex-Reynolds dealer, just like all the other windows that I've
purchased and installed over the past couple of years.

The counter guy that I work with said to measure the RO, just like I
measured the RO for all the other windows. The only difference is that
the other windows were double hungs, so I had access to the top and
bottom of the RO opening once the sashes were out of the way. (i.e. open)

Since I can't open the picture window, I don't have access to the bottom
sill area.

A number of manufacturers have outside salesmen who make the rounds.
Request one stop by next time he's in the area to measure for you and
pick up the deposit check. They love hearing that last part. The
first part takes the onus off of you for any mis-measurements.

I'm not sure if this option is available...it wasn't offered when I
purchased the other windows. The only option that was "offered" was that
if I was afraid to take my own measurements I could hire a contractor to
come over and measure for me. I opted out of that "offer", did my own
measurements and (luckily?) got all 14 of them correct.

The "kitchen casement replaced with a slider" was the most challenging,
not because of the measurements, but because the trim work wasn't just
an R&R like the other windows.