Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Efficient priming technique for tongue and groove siding

On Oct 8, 11:40*pm, Mike Lacy wrote:
I'm in the process of priming some 1X4 tongue and groove siding on all
sides before installing it. *I'm painting, not staining it (latex), so
I don't imagine any kind of dipping scheme would work. The groove is
about 1/4", so it really takes some scrubbing to get primer into the
groove. *Any suggestions for technique, etc. for being efficient in
painting this material. A painter friend advises again spraying due to
anticipated issues with drips clogging up the groove. *Perhaps
something other than a conventional brush? *Perhaps priming the groove
is not really necessary? *FWIW, the material is pine.

Regards, Mike

It sounds to me like your painter friend doesn't know how to use
a paint sprayer properly... If you are trying to cover some surface
with a paint sprayer so it looks right in one coat, you don't know
what you are doing and shouldn't be using a paint sprayer at all...

My opinion is that standing the boards so the grooves are exposed
and then applying a couple of light coats with a paint sprayer would
be less laborious than any other method of pre-priming all six sides
of the T&G siding boards...