Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

In article 2033ae57-46cf-4738-a594-64881a1626a8
@d18g2000yql.googlegroups.com, says...

On Oct 8, 10:42*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On a $399 DeWally or $349 Jet worksite saw, that's a ONE HUNDRED
PERCENT increase in the cost. *On a $219 Crapsman table saw, it's
closer to a 150% increase.

( Prices from
http://www.toolseeker.com/WdWkMac/TableSaw.htm)

What percentage of cost do you think seatbelts, safety glass, side
impact barriers, crumple zones, air bags, impact testing, etc., etc.
add to the price of a car?

Gass is far from stupid. When was the last time you checked out their
web site? Have you seen their "Report A Save"? This is what it says:
"You may be eligible for a free cartridge. If you send us your
activated cartridge and we determine through our diagnostic processes
that contact with skin triggered the activation, we?ll send you a new
cartridge free of charge."
Superb marketing and very simple.

So people have some choices.
Buy a saw now so you won't have to worry about the new regulations.
Buy a used saw after the regulations come out.
Buy a Sawstop.
Buy whatever the other tool manufacturers come up with that satisfies
the new requirements.

The first three give people plenty of choice, and then it's just a
question of determining your own risk/reward solution.

The last one is only a major problem for the competing tool
manufacturers.

Elect a Congress that will take the asshole's patents away from him if
he continues to insist that the government force other businesses to
license them.