Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] mac@bajawoodcraft.com is offline

Default newbie questions

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 13:08:57 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

I have a quick way to turn off the lathe though that Mike Paulson (a pro
turner in Colorado) turned me onto. See
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/stand.htm for a short write-up and photo.

Essentially I put a kick board at the foot of the the lathe so I can
just tap it w/my foot and turn it off. I can be several feet away from
the actual on/off switch. It's incredibly handy in addition to being a
nice safety feature. Probably won't work on all lathes, but if one has
a toggle switch it's great...

...Kevin

On all but the Nova, I just use a household electrical box with a
large "pull on/ push off" switch on the face.. I replaced the original
knob with a larger one that I turned..
The box has a magnet epoxied to the back so that it sticks to whatever
part of the lathe that you're working near..
I usually position it so I can hit it with a hip or elbow in case both
hands are busy...