Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Using a photoresistor and light to turn a transistor OFF...

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:26:02 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

On 10/07/2011 07:13 AM, Dave wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
On 10/07/2011 06:36 AM, Dave wrote:
As per my post in SEB, I am trying to use a photo resistor and sunlight
turn off a transistor that would otherwise be conducting like crazy, but
can't quite make the leap of comprehension as to how to actually do this.
Please see attached schematic parts that show more or less what I am
trying
to do this with. No part number for the photoresistor, sorry. It drops
from multi-megohms in the dark to single-digit Ohms in the light and
seems
perfectly capable of carrying the 30 to 50 mA current I am working with
at
the voltages indicated. Would really appreciate it if someone could
offer a
hint as to how I should proceed with as few components as possible (small
circuit board.) I hope that my method of posting the schematic portion
of
what I a working with is not too obtuse. Couldn't figure out any other
way
to do it...

Many thanks...

Dave

You're wasting a gross amount of current in that bias network. How about
a nice MOSFET?

I've seen LDRs fry from too much light+current. I humbly suggest

Say a 2N7002, source to V-, drain to series resistor+LED, LDR plus pot to
set turn-on level:

(V+)----*----------------*
| |
R R