Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default new kitchen faucet time

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 21:45:36 +0200, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
. ..
When I re-did the kitchen 6 years ago I bought a pullout, filtered,
Moen single-handle faucet. Within a year it worked like crap &
when I finally got around to calling Moen for a replacement they
didn't make them anymore. They were willing to send me a different
faucet-- but I wasn't that impressed with Moen or their design so I
said no-thanks.

So I got a $120 Price Pfister pullout [no filter] that has looked
and worked fine for 3 years. But now it is beginning to catch a
bit when it swivels, so I'm shopping again.

My house is 33 years old and only one faucet has been replaced.
That was about 25 years ago. I'd check the quality of your water and
maybe add a sediment filter. .

Oh- I know we have a crap-load of calcium in our water. But-- The
faucet that was in the kitchen when we bought the house lasted 20-30
years. [I paid no attention to what brand it was, damn-it.] The piece
of crap Moen destructed from the outside.

The Price Pfister might be good for another 20- but I'm not that in
love with it. It acts like it needs to be taken apart and lubed. If
I've got to clean that cupboard out & get my tools out to disconnect
this puppy, then I'll put a new one in its place.

Most name brand faucets are good for 15+ years

Hang on to what you've got-- I don't see anything that looks
promising out there so far. That Moen cured me of spending extra
for the promise of quality. I buy the one with the look and
features I like-- and figure on getting 3-4 years out of it. Any more
will be a bonus.

Jim

We had a Moen that eventually developed a problem. I got a replacement
new faucet, rather than a free replacement part. Total cost was (I
think) $25. Now I need something again, since the hot water flow is
severely reduced. I think I need a seediment filter somewhere in the hot
water lines.

--
Best regards
Han