Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Can this support be replaced with something smaller?

On Oct 8, 4:00*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Here's an odd space in my house under the stairs that I would like to
convert to storage:

http://freeboundaries.com/Stairs.jpg

There is that big triangular block in the middle that supports a
stair. I would like to replace that block with something smaller to
save the space. For example, I could put a steel bar across the whole
thing, or something like that.

The orientation of that picture is a little odd, but if I'm reading it
correctly it's a block to keep the stair tread/riser from flexing too
much. It's in a location where it could be the middle stringer as
Mike said, but I can't tell from here.

What I don't understand is what removing that block will do to
increase storage. It's up in the ceiling, right? I don't see how
weakening the stair to gain a miniscule amount of awkward and barely
accessible storage makes any sense at all. Explain what exactly
you're trying to do.