Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default newbie observations

On 10/8/2011 1:46 PM, Vic Baron wrote:
Spent quite a bit of time making shavings and have a few observations.

I really need to build a custom stand for my little lathe. I put it on
one of those commercial tool stands and after a day of turning, figured
out why my back is killing me. Thing is way too high. The spindle height
is about 6" above my elbow.

Brand new tools need to be sharpened.

Bought a Barracuda chuck which seems to be a big help. Although I had
something happen that confused me. I chucked in a piece of maple 1 1/2 x
1 1/2 x6. Roughed it round. Played around with some shapes and had
something that looked like an egg cup so I parted off the end and tried
some end grain hollowing. Went ok for a bit but had the tool catch and
then the wood moved just a tad in the jaws. I couldn't seem to rechuck
it where it was on the original axis.

Trying to decide if I chucked it wrong or just didn't tighten the jaws
enough. I'm guessing the latter.

Also, I had a problem trying to get rid of the little "pip" in the
center of the hollowed out area. I'm guessing a drilled hole down the
center would make it easier. Also seems that it would be easier to use a
Forstner bit to drill out most of the wood and use the chisels for clean up

Found that if the tool rest is too far from the work, I got a lot of
chatter.

I am right handed - found that I am most comfortable with left and on
tool and right on handle. I found it uncomfortable when I switched that.
How d most of you turn - left handed, right handed or ambi?

God learning experiences - have ordered some of the books and DVD's
recommended.

Having fun and that's what it's al about!

Vic

you may have done nothing wrong - a catch puts enormous forces onto the
piece and will shift the wood in a chuck and the fibers deform, so it's
nearly impossible to get it back perfectly - but don't worry about it -
keep practicing and you will learn to avoid the catches