Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill[_42_] Bill[_42_] is offline

Default newbie questions

On 10/8/2011 2:08 PM, Kevin Miller wrote:
On 10/07/2011 09:29 PM, wrote:

If I'm using a lathe that doesn't have a remote on/off, like my Nova,
I'll stand next to the headstock, behind the bowl or whatever, when I
turn the lathe on..
I've had pieces break up at pretty high speed but never had anything
hit me.. Most pieces seem to go pretty much straight up or straight
down..

Not always. I've had them hit me in the chest so hard it almost knocked
the wind out of me. I had to just hold onto the stand for about 5
minutes to recover. Left a dinner plate size bruise. Almost posted a
photo in a.b.p.w.

I have a quick way to turn off the lathe though that Mike Paulson (a pro
turner in Colorado) turned me onto. See
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/stand.htm for a short write-up and photo.

Essentially I put a kick board at the foot of the the lathe so I can
just tap it w/my foot and turn it off. I can be several feet away from
the actual on/off switch. It's incredibly handy in addition to being a
nice safety feature. Probably won't work on all lathes, but if one has a
toggle switch it's great...

...Kevin

if you arrange that kick switch so it interrupts the primary power to
the lathe, it will work with any lathe, just make sure that the switch
rating can handle the full power of the lathe. Remember, no electricity
in, no power out of the motor