Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default newbie questions

I'd be interested in that remote switch. If you still have those pix, I'd
like to see them.

Thanx,

Vic

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 08:24:55 -0700, "Vic
wrote:

That makes a lot of sense! I still have all my digits mainly because if I
didn't feel comfortable doing a specific cut, I didn't do it. And I am
the
world's oldest chicken!

When I stop being afraid of what my tools could do to me if/when I get
stupid, I'll stop using them... Fine line between respect and fear

One thing that I forgot to mention.. The "throw zone" on a lathe is
usually pretty much where it is on a table saw blade.. Don't stand
there...
If I'm using a lathe that doesn't have a remote on/off, like my Nova,

Oh thou of little trust! I told you how to put on a remote off button,
even sent pictures. Mine still works great though I had to replace the
push
switch. Wore it out.

I'll stand next to the headstock, behind the bowl or whatever, when I
turn the lathe on..
I've had pieces break up at pretty high speed but never had anything
hit me.. Most pieces seem to go pretty much straight up or straight
down..

wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 11:10:06 -0700, "Vic
wrote:

There are several lathe speed charts for different diameter pieces,
but I think they're sort of dangerous as they assume each piece is
round, balanced and solid..

My general rule is to turn each piece at as high a speed that you feel
safe and the lathe is steady..
I feel that I get a much smoother cut at higher speeds and with less
pressure..

Things that limit speed are unbalanced pieces, cracks in the wood,
knots that might be loose, loose bark/dirt, etc..

Common sense will keep you safe, just as it does with your flat work..

Hi -

First post - going to be fun setting up the kill filter!

Been a wrecker for years and am just getting back into turning. MANY
years
ago I had an old Shopsmith which I used as a lathe to make legs and
spindles
for various projects. So turning isn't completely foreign but I have a
lot
to learn. Bought an inexpensive mini lathe from Rockler and a few tools
that
I didn't have from my old turning adventures.

I plan on making cups, boxes, knobs - maybe eventually I'll try a bowl.
Not
much interested in pens.

Bought a few books but frankly they weren't too good - more into
listing
the
parts of the lathe and the names of the tools and basically what they
are
used for.

The questions I have are many but a few for starters -

Where can I find out what kind of wood is good for turning? I have oak,
walnut, maple, mahogany and some expensive unusual woods. I guess what
puzzles me is should I use soft woods, hard woods, close grain or open
grain
and what are the benefits and pitfalls of same.

Another - is there a guide for size of turning vs speed?

unfortunately I do not have the time to go to a turner's class so I
have
rely on reading, you tube, Usenet and practice.

What books/dvd's would you suggest for a slightly experienced beginner?

Thanx,

Vic

--
Gerald Ross