Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Oct 8, 7:45*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 10/8/2011 3:48 PM, Nova wrote:

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:16:05 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

snip

*From what I understand, Sawstop, the people that have first hand
knowledge of what the additional cos would b,e have stated that the
additional manufacturer cost for a bench top saw would be $55.00.

If you have to think about spending that much more for a saw, even if it
is $100, consider the saving you have when it actually functions and
prevents you from being badly injured.

*From what I've read, based on the Gass's proposed cost to Bosch, the
cost to a manufacturer would be $150 - $200 plus an 8% licensing fee
on the total wholesale price of the saw. *In the case of my saw it
would add $300 - $350.

For the cost of the monies lost to Solyndra, and literally thousands of
other examples of frivolous, 'bridges to nowhere' spending of taxpayers
money, the government, instead of a mandate, would do well to make Gass
an offer he couldn't refuse and put the patent in the public domain.

The resultant technological _innovation_ coming from just that one
action would go a long way to really making table saw usage much safer
for everyone at a reasonable price.

Those who espouse "social cost" as a justification, over individual
responsibility, should have no problem with that.

That's a very good idea. Has anything like that ever been done
before?