Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On 10/8/2011 3:48 PM, Nova wrote:
On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:16:05 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

snip

From what I understand, Sawstop, the people that have first hand
knowledge of what the additional cos would b,e have stated that the
additional manufacturer cost for a bench top saw would be $55.00.

If you have to think about spending that much more for a saw, even if it
is $100, consider the saving you have when it actually functions and
prevents you from being badly injured.

From what I've read, based on the Gass's proposed cost to Bosch, the
cost to a manufacturer would be $150 - $200 plus an 8% licensing fee
on the total wholesale price of the saw. In the case of my saw it
would add $300 - $350.

For the cost of the monies lost to Solyndra, and literally thousands of
other examples of frivolous, 'bridges to nowhere' spending of taxpayers
money, the government, instead of a mandate, would do well to make Gass
an offer he couldn't refuse and put the patent in the public domain.

The resultant technological _innovation_ coming from just that one
action would go a long way to really making table saw usage much safer
for everyone at a reasonable price.

Those who espouse "social cost" as a justification, over individual
responsibility, should have no problem with that.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010