Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Oct 8, 2:07*pm, "
wrote:
On Sat, 8 Oct 2011, whit3rd wrote:

The report makes VERY interesting reading, and sent me straight
to my tablesaw to see what I could do about the missing
bits (I got the saw used, without the guards). * They're seeing
thousands per year of *amputations.

Life is dangerous. *Your point?

Saying "life is dangerous" is a mantra for people that don't have a
better argument. You're trying to convince people that an improvement
in safety is not really an improvement.

Do you have GFIs in your house? Wear a seatbelt in your car? Why?
Life is dangerous. What a dumb thing to say.

There are people on this newsgroup who have had power tool accidents,
and you're basically saying "**** You" to them - and this without
having any knowledge about what happened in the accident(s).

Your major issue is, what?, your "ethical" objection to a _business_
doing whatever it can to sell its product? Gee, now there's a
surprise. Which would you prefer - a company that uses whatever means
it can to get a safety device into widespread use, or a company that
uses whatever means it can to get more money in its pockets with a
shoddy, dangerous device?

You'd do business differently? Great - go do it. Get the law
changed, eliminate or change the patent process, write a letter to the
CPSC, start your own business that has your "ethics".

I think you have a major moral failing in that your "ethics" - and
that's clearly not the issue here - are not ethical. You exhibit no
compassion. A lack of compassion is antithetical to ethical behavior.

Brush up on a term before you start bandying it about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethics

Thanks.