Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 11:23:23 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 10:15:01 -0400, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"h" wrote:

over $5 and put every bill I pay online on the card and pay it off every
month. Couldn't be easier and I never have to worry about fees or
over-drawing my checking account. Plus, if your debit card is stolen and
your account drained, the bank has no obligation to return your money. If
someone steals your credit card (or even just the info) you're not
responsible for the charges.

And because of this, the CC issuer's fraud units seem to be more
vigilant (sometimes TOO vigilant probably) in keeping an eye on the
accounts and freezing them.

Too vigilant? I don't think so, at all. They're pretty damned lax, as far as
I'm concerned. What's your beef?

Two years ago we were on our annual vacation in Florida and my Chase
CC was refused checking out groceries at Publix.
Got the card active again before the ice cream melted, which was my
biggest concern.
Now I call Chase security before I travel and haven't had a problem on
the 2 vacations since.
Just tell them the dates I'm gone and where I'm going.
Had a voice message from them about "unusual activity" when I got back
home from vacation the past 2 years.
"Disregard if you've already contacted Chase security."
So they're checking, and I have no doubt they'd kill the card if I
didn't call.
I don't mind calling them first, since I don't travel much.
Better than ice cream melting.
Might be a hassle for a frequent traveler, or maybe not.
Also had them call me when I was putting together computers and buying
components on-line.
Good for them. Everybody pays for what a CC thief takes.

--Vic