Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Gutter/Downspout/Drain Question

Steve B wrote:

When a water main or sewer line breaks, the city doesn't replace the
entire piping system. They install a patch.

What with over 1,000 water main breaks in my town this summer, I've
watched a few. They dig down to the break, cut out the offending
section, and replace it with a suitably-sized plastic pipe. The ends
of the plastic pipe are attached to the original with a rubber boot
and (looks like) stainless clamps.

Well, then, I guess digging up the yard IS the best way to find the
problem. Just not what I'd do.

Maybe not. The scenario I described is for "breaks." In the OP's case, we
have a "stoppage."