Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 10:35:48 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd wrote:

On Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:56:00 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 16:39:24 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour wrote:

Will the CPSC mandate a monopoly for SawStop?

I don't think they will. SawStop hasn't bought enough congresscritters.

The report makes VERY interesting reading, and sent me straight
to my tablesaw to see what I could do about the missing
bits (I got the saw used, without the guards). They're seeing
thousands per year of amputations.

Life is dangerous. Your point?

If Sawstop were to be licensed at 'reasonable and non-discriminatory'
terms (like, $10 per saw and $5 per replacement cartridge) the
commission MIGHT institute requirements that only the
Sawstop mechanism can meet, but that's the most extreme
outcome I'd believe.

That's the reasonable path but it's not going to happen.

Congress doesn't have much to say at
this point, of course; CPSC is INDEPENDENT of Congress.

The USPS is "independent", too. Congress most certainly does have "something
to say" about it.