Posted to rec.woodworking
Stuart Wheaton[_2_] Stuart Wheaton[_2_] is offline

Default Sawstop's suit against Ryobi is upheld

On 10/8/2011 12:58 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 8, 12:31 pm, wrote:

I predict that the Supreme Court will rule along the lines of the
testimony of the expert witness was biased and thus not acceptable.

I think it's a fairly safe bet that the Supreme Court will overturn
it. I'm glad the suit happened, though, and got so much attention.
The major tool companies have had plenty of time to start retooling
and upgrading safety since SawStop came on the scene. They've known
which way the wind was blowing and something needed to be shaken
loose.

The problem with this seems to be that Sawstop has the technology very
thoroughly patented, and is not willing to license for anything
reasonable, then they start a suit to result in their tech being required.

My understanding is that the principal in Sawstop is actually a patent
lawyer.

Stuart