Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Fwd: Reno Air Race - Probable conclusion to fatal crash

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:05:58 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Sounds like a classic side slip - pull the nose up to peal off speed,
then drop one wing and let it slide a few hundred Or thousand) feet,
drop the nose to catch back a few knots, and hit the runway, instead
of doing another 2 circuits around lake meade to get down.

It was standard approach practice for the Aussie pilots flying Caribous
in 'Nam. They wanted to avoid ground fire, so they'd do what amounts to
a side-slipping stall right above the threshold, and drop in like a rock,
recovering just enough airspeed to flare near the end.

On 1100' PSP runways, that actually looks like an attractive way to make
an approach!

Hey, I've got no problems with it at all - that is, with a little
advance warning about what's going to happen. And "Informed Consent"
comes into play too.

"Okay people, we're shaving 20 minutes off our approach. Face
forward, heads up and well back in your seat, and here we go..."

You don't DO that with a full commercial passenger aircraft without
giving the passengers a heads-up. Or at least an apology if you did
it inadvertently, "No, that wasn't your imagination."

-- Bruce --