Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Delrin sheets continued: transferring a pattern for engraving

On 10/7/2011 10:46 PM, DougC wrote:
Eventually I got a 2' x 4' piece.
But not before ordering another one from somewhere else, so soon I'll
have two.
Oh well, I'll use both eventually.

What I need to do is transfer a pattern to the acetal for engraving it
by hand, using a dremel router with a 1/16" mill bit. CNC engraving is
not financially practical here--and for the patterns I need, a stencil
will not work.

I had assumed on getting full-size pieces of adhesive paper, inkjet
printing the patters on them and sticking them on. Cutting right through
them, then peeling off the pieces. Is there a better way? My concern
here is that the adhesive paper might stick too well to the acetal.

I know that heating adhesive-back labels with a heat gun helps them peel
off easily, but the acetal is thermoplastic itself. There's also
solvents that weaken the glue, but they also might harm the acetal.

I also have to buy a home-PC printer for this. I had assumed it'd be an
inkjet, as they print on the widest variety of materials. The higher
cost-per-page of an inkjet is not really a concern here. If there's a
better method involving a laser printer instead feel free to say.

I use my HP laser printer to make printed cutout patterns on balsa
sheets for my little airplane projects. The latest cook-up is for
rubber powered jets. A few of the guys are actually building rubber
powered fan jets (!) but I copped out with a replaceable nose plug, one
with a prop, one for show, on my peanut (13" wingspan) 707.

While working up the plans for that and a Constellation, I found that
the toner on a printed page transfers very nicely with acetone or
lacquer thinner. At least to balsa sheet.
I just taped it down so it couldn't move and do a quick wet wipe.

No idea how that would work on acetal. But if it can stand up to a short
exposure to solvents, it's not hard to test.